In April we find ourselves in the midst of the COVID-19 health crisis, with restaurants closed and mandates to stay indoors.
Health & Nutrition
Peanuts are nutritional powerhouses. According to the Peanut Institute, there are six important reasons to choose nutrient dense peanuts.
- Protein – Peanuts contain by weight more plant-based protein (almost 25%) than any other nut variety
- Nutrients – Besides protein, peanuts are significant sources of nutrients that are hard to get enough of in everyday eating: vitamins and minerals including magnesium, potassium, folate, niacin and vitamin E
- Fiber– both soluble and insoluble fibre in peanuts contribute, along with protein, to feelings of satiety. Fiberis also important for digestive health.
- Low Carbohydrate – Peanuts have little carbohydrate (natural sugar) content relative to their high protein and healthy fat content. That means peanuts have a very low glycaemic index/glycemicload. This is beneficial in the management of type 2 diabetes and for weight loss.
- Bioactives– peanuts contain plant substances beyond vitamins and minerals that have health benefits: phytosterols, polyphenols, flavonoids, arginine, resveratrol and other antioxidants.
- Healthy fats – Peanuts are a healthy high fat product; most of the fat in peanuts and peanut butter is unsaturated. The main fatty acid is oleic acid, the same as found in olive oil.
Want to learn more about Peanut Nutrition? Go to: https://peanut-institute.com/
The USDA Nutrient Database has a full nutritional breakdown of U.S.peanuts: http://tinyurl.com/yafclbpl